My family's journey down the road less traveled....

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls....

I love cinnamon rolls.  If marrying them was an option, I'd be Mrs. Cinnamon Roll.  Seriously.  However, my only experience with them comes from whacking that silly tube on the counter and taking the pre made little rolls out and squeezing the icing from the plastic packet.  I got brave this weekend and ventured into the world of homemade.  Uh, what in the world took me so long!?!?!

Ginger had a few friends over to celebrate her birthday early and I spent Saturday morning making batch after batch of pizza dough in my bread maker.  I found a recipe for rolls that could be made in the machine too and took a chance.  I assembled the rolls, cut them and placed the pans in the fridge till this morning.  All I had to do was pull them out when I turned on the oven to preheat and they had plenty of time to rise a little before baking.  Super easy.  Like ridiculously easy.

The only change I'll make next time is more cinnamon and I'll add in nutmeg.  I ♥ nutmeg.

Dough
1 cup milk (heated approximately 1 minute in microwave)
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature and beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1
/2 cup granulated sugar

5 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast

Put ingredients, in order into bread machine.  Start dough cycle.  Mine mixes dough for approx. 12 minutes then goes into a rise period with heat to help dough along.  You can always remove dough right after mixing and allow to rise in a warm place.



Cinnamon Filling
1/2 cup butter, melted or softened
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar

4 to 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon


Once dough has risen, roll and stretch into a rectangle (approx. 15in by 24in).  Brush with 1/2 cup melted/softened butter and sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture over dough.   Starting with long edge, roll up dough; pinch seams to seal. Cut dough into 1 1/2 in pieces and place in slightly greased baking dish.  Rolls should not touch.  I was able to get 18 rolls out of this recipe.  At this point you can either allow them to rise an additional 20 minutes or so then bake or cover and pop in the fridge.  I guess you could also freeze them too. 

Cream Cheese Frosting (double batch) **Can make day ahead too**

8ox softened cream cheese
1/2 c softened butter
3c confectioner sugar
3 tsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
Beat all ingredients with mixer until well blended

Pull rolls out and place in warm place to rise about 20 minutes prior to baking.  Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.  Immediately top with frosting.





Now to conquer orange rolls!!!!

In cinnamon roll heaven............Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment