- 2lbs chicken in bite sized pieces
- Tempura Batter (1/2c flour, 1/2c cornstarch, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 egg beaten, 2/3 c ICE water) Combine in bowl, mix well, then add chicken.
Heat frying oil to approx. 375 degrees and fry chicken pieces in batches until cooked.
Remove to paper towel lined tray and keep warm.
- 1 1/2c water
- 1/4c fresh orange juice
- 1/3 c rice wine vinegar(can sub red wine vinegar)
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredient in saucepan, mix well and bring to a boil. Mix 3 tbsp cornstarch and 1/4c water then slowly add to sauce to thicken.
At this point you'll have your cooked chicken pieces and sauce made. It's time to combine all the goodness. Heat sesame oil (or whatever you have) in large skillet/wok and stir-fry veggies of your choosing. I prefer broccoli, carrots, onion and on occasion water chestnuts. Once the veggies are cooked dump in the chicken and sauce to heat through. Can garnish with chopped green onions added at the last minute...they are a nice touch if you remember!!
Sauce can be made ahead of time and freezes well. If I am organized and prep my veggies first, then my sauce and finish with the chicken the meal goes together smoothly.