My family's journey down the road less traveled....

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Laundry Detergent Tutorial...

Hello to all my frugal minded friends!!  Here are the step-by-step instructions to making your own laundry detergent.

You'll need the following items:
Borax: $1.99 (on sale a few months ago)
Washing Soda: $3.29 (regular price)
Color Safe Bleach: $2.89 (regular price)
Ivory: $1.58 ($0.79 each after 2 $0.50 coupons)  **see note at bottom regarding soap**
Total: $9.75

Yes, only $9.75

Next step is most time consuming and potentially dangerous.  Well, only dangerous if you're me and unable to handle a simple food grater without removing large chunks of your fingertips. However, if you're challenged like I am, your cost may go up slightly with the addition of a few bandaids!!
I digress...plop down in a comfy chair and grate up the soap.  Took me about 10 minutes and I got to catch a few minutes of a college football game and listen to Mr. Awesome© yell at the T.V.  Fun, right??

I like to grate the soap as fine as I possible can.  I think it helps the soap dissolve a little better in the wash.

I store my laundry detergent in a 5 gallon bucket.  You can pick one up super cheap at any hardware store.  I recommend you store it with a lid as I've noticed excess moisture results in clumping and well, no one likes clumps.

Last step is to pour all ingredients into your bucket or preferred storage device and mix them together.  Please note that these powders are chemicals and breathing them in is not the best for your health.  I either tie a bandanna over my mouth and nose or grab a mask before this step.  Needed to put that disclaimer out, however, you're all big girls (and boys) so proceed as you see fit!!

You are now ready to tackle that pesky, ever-growing laundry pile!!  1/8 cup per load, 1/4 if it's really, really, nasty.  This amount will last me close to 6 months as long as Mr. Awesome© sends his uniforms off to be cleaned at work.  In a typical week, I wash 3 loads of dark clothes, 1 load of whites and 2 of towel/linens for a family of 5 with 2 dogs who love to play in the muddy creek.

Soapy and bandaged........Deborah

**Soap note: Feel free to substitute for the Ivory soap.  Kirk's Castile, Fels Naptha and Dr. Bronner's would work well.  Personally, I have tried Fels Naptha and never liked the smell and noticed the clothes just didn't seem to smell as fresh.**

No comments:

Post a Comment