My family's journey down the road less traveled....

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Spring...yeah baby!!

We're finally thawing out here in snOh-io which is unfortunately causing massive flooding.  In two days we went from 6 inches of snow and ice to 12 inches of standing water!  The creek running behind the house is normally a slight trickle of about 1 foot....but was up to about 8 feet yesterday.  I'm feeling a little Huck Finnish today!!  Who's up for rafting??  Anyone?? No one??  Bueller?  Bueller?

Anywho, the first signs of spring are starting to show...

So stinkin' cute
 I pick up these little ladies from the feed store on Tuesday.  We've got 5 Americana, 3 Buff Orpington and 1 Barred Rock.  I love the sound of their little peeps and how they hop around the brooder!  I want to look at the breeds TSC is offering and may pick up a few more layers to help rebuild the flock.  We've got plans to make the coop into Fort Knox to prevent anymore varmit attacks.  Plus I'm stocked on ammo and have been target shooting!!  I need to post a sign, "Raccoons Beware".

Grow baby, grow
I also repurposed a 20 gallon aquarium given to us by a friend into a mini-greenhouse.  The florescent lights work well to simulate sunlight and these sprouts are 4 days old.  I spent a lot of time pondering which veggies to grow this year based on supermarket costs and availability.  While it was fun growing black beans last year, I would have needed to quadruple the amount of plants to make it really cost effective.

I've started seeds for Roma and Yellow Pear tomatoes, pickling cukes, snap peas, and broccoli.  I will direct sow my spinach and lettuce and am planning on doing another planting of broccoli later in the season for a fall harvest.  I am looking into container gardening for carrots.  Research has led me to re-think my potato set-up.  I will continue to use the stacked tire method but instead of filling each subsequent layer with dirt I'll use straw.  Folks are suggesting ti works...we'll see.  I've got big plans for this year!!

Last but not least, spring is returning because......

My one and only hen, Ella,  started laying again!!!! She's been a trooper over the winter with just the nasty roo, Indian,  for company.  I guess he's a little bored only having one hen to look out for because he has gotten a little testy with Mr. Awesome© and the Oompa-Loompas.   Challenging them and rushing like he's ready to throw down.  He may just fancy himself an MMA superstar.  It's not like there's much thinking going on in their tiny little brains!  Once the little ones are big enough to move to the coop he may very well find himself in freezer camp!   He'd make a nice plate of fried chicken.

Happy early spring everyone!!


Happily,
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment