My family's journey down the road less traveled....

Monday, July 18, 2011

One down....4 to go!

For my family, mid-summer marks the end of the 4-H season.  The kids have attended meetings all year, diligently worked on projects and this weekend will finish their club's float and booth presentation design.  Our fair is over labor day weekend but in order to know who goes to state fair we have to have everything wrapped up before then. 

This afternoon was our first of 5 projects to be judged.  Biggest Oompa took the Clothing for Middle School project.  She was required to make a top with sleeves or pants and a top with/without sleeves.  She opted for a really cute peasant blouse/tunic.  It is a stretch outside her normal, overly casual t-shirt and ragged cutoffs but really does suit her personality.  I allowed her to raid my jewelry box and I have to say she did an amazing job accessorizing!!  Better than I would have done!!

I can't get over how grown up she is!!  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I am the mother to a teenager!!  I don't like teenagers...they're surly, smelly, lazy and always broke.  I wish there was a pause button on kids. 

 At any rate...we'll know tonight at the style review if she'll go to state fair.  Her second project , Creative Writing, isn't state fair eligible.  She would have smoked the other kids on that one!!  Middle Oompa will be showing her dog project tomorrow and the boy Oompa is still a Clubberbud (Cloverbud) so they have special judging.  Lastly, their entire club took on the project of Life Skills.  It taught many thing we take for granted like how to write a check, properly answer a phone, introducing a new person to others and so on. Very interesting and eyeopening on where the kids lack manners and sometimes common sense!!  Fingers crossed they all do well!!

My name is Deborah and I'm a 2nd year member of the Buckeye Brigade 4-H Club and I thank you for reading my blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment