My family's journey down the road less traveled....

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Time flies when you work too much....

This summer went by like a blur and I didn't get to enjoy it. I vividly remember summers as a kid where your toughest decision was orange or cherry popsicle. Due to the circumstances of life and the economy, I spend my summer working 7 days a week at the Lutheran Memorial Camp. They run a summer camp program for kids and offer a way of connecting with God via nature as well as teaching environmental education. Great program, great location, great people. Unfortunately, this took me away from my garden, which suffered greatly. After working long days/nights in extreme heat on my feet (hey, that rhymed!!) I was in no mood or condition to get back out in the heat to weed and prune. My bounty this year is very embarrassing: 3 quarts of pickles, 12 quarts of apple sauce, 1 gallon bag of sunflower seeds, 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, 5 pounds of sweet potatoes, 4 cups of frozen sweet peppers, 3 quarts of dried beans, 1 pint of dried cherries and 12 half-pints of peach butter. We had a nasty wind storm that blew over my corn...tried to save it but with such shallow roots it was a lost cause. My tomatoes were amazingly abundant this year but due to a lack of pruning they resembled a jungle!!! There's always next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment